Fenwick works closely with leading technology and life sciences companies that are changing the world through innovation. To keep pace with our dynamic clients, we are dedicated to building a diverse community of professionals and a culture where talented people thrive. We are proud of the opportunities that set us apart and encourage you to explore all we have to offer at fenwick.com/careers.
Technology and Life Sciences Focus
A Silicon Valley original, Fenwick has helped some of the world’s most recognized companies become and remain market leaders, providing comprehensive legal services to groundbreaking technology and life sciences companies at every stage of their lifecycle. With more than 500 lawyers and locations in Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Seattle, New York, Santa Monica, Shanghai and Washington, DC, we craft innovative and practical solutions for established and emerging companies.
Technology and Innovation
Our firm’s ethos mission mirrors that of the entrepreneurs, engineers and scientists who populate innovative clients such as Amazon, Calm, Cisco, Coinbase, Databricks, Google, Meta and Nextdoor. We are steeped in technology and value innovation and collaboration. By promoting an entrepreneurial culture of professionals who understand and use new technologies, we foster an environment in which anyone can contribute to the success and dynamism of our organization.
Culture of Inclusion
From our founding in 1972, Fenwick has been committed to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion both within the firm and throughout the legal profession. We believe that a diverse workforce helps us serve our clients better and encourages an environment of cooperation, respect, creativity and mutual understanding in which everyone thrives.
We believe in the importance of developing a culture of authenticity, creating space for employees to feel a sense of belonging and providing the tools, resources and opportunities for our employees to feel supported and grow. From recruitment to development and advancement, our end goal is to ensure our employees can thrive as their authentic selves in their careers at Fenwick. Throughout the year, the importance of diversity, equity and inclusion at Fenwick is exemplified through our programs, policies and initiatives.
Professional Development and Wellbeing
Fenwick’s nationally lauded mentoring programs center on integrating new lawyers into the firm quickly and successfully, as well as providing support and career guidance for mid-level and senior associates, focusing on areas including practice group specialization and client development. In addition, Fenwick provides a suite of resources and benefits to support wellbeing and balance for professionals.
Serving Our Communities
Fenwick is proud to serve our community through robust and innovative pro bono and corporate social responsibility programs. We have been a catalyst for pro bono collaboration in establishing partnerships with technology companies. To encourage pro bono legal services, Fenwick recognizes all approved pro bono work as billable hours for all purposes for non-partner attorneys.
- One of the world’s leading law firms working with technology companies by Chambers Global. (2023)
- One of the 100 largest firms in the U.S. in terms of revenue by The American Lawyer. (2022)
- Over 25% of Fenwick partners are recognized by Chambers USA. (2022)
- #10 in The American Lawyer’s Composite Ranking Index for strong financial results and continued diversity efforts. (2022)
- #15 in The American Lawyer’s inaugural Power Rankings, which measures momentum as well as profit and prestige of Am Law 100 firms, with emphasis on profitable growth and upward trajectory in key metrics. Fenwick is the only technology-focused firm ranked among the top 15. (2023)
Recognition for Our Culture
- Awarded the Keta Taylor Colby Award by the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights of the San Francisco Bay Area for the firm’s role in securing a historic lawsuit victory that challenged unlawful civil assessments that disproportionately penalized low-income Californians. (2023)
- Received the National Public Service Award from the American Bar Association’s Business of Law Section for our pro bono contributions. (2022)
- Among Seramount’s 50 Best Law Firms for Women. (2022)
- 100% score (A+ rating) on The Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index for pro-LGBTQ+ policies and working environment for the 13th consecutive year. (2022)
- Achieved Mansfield 5.0 Certification Plus status from Diversity Lab in recognition of the firm’s industry-leading accomplishments in DEI. (2022)
- Among the top 20 most diverse Am Law 100 law firms in the U.S. by The American Lawyer. (2022)
- Recognized as one of the “Best Places to Work in the Bay Area” by Silicon Valley Business Journal and San Francisco Business Times as well as the one of the “Best Places to Work in New York City” by Crain’s New York Business. (2022)
- Named the best law firm for women in business law in North America at the Americas Women in Business Law Awards by Euromoney. Fenwick was also named the best law firm in the nation for work-life balance and pro bono work and the best law firm for women in the western U.S. (2022)
Recognition for Excellence in Corporate, Litigation, IP, & Tax Law
- Twenty-three practice areas recognized by Chambers USA. Ranked Tier 1 nationally for startups and emerging companies work and for privacy and data security. Also ranked nationally for life sciences, M&A, intellectual property, technology, tax controversy and corporate and finance tax work. (2022)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 in the highest tier nationally for technology transactions, middle-market M&A, patent licensing and patent prosecution, as well as for venture capital and emerging companies work. (2022)
- Recommended among the top patent firms nationally and in California for prosecution, litigation and transactions in Law Business Research’s IAM Patent 1000. The guide also honored the firm for patent litigation in Washington and New York and for its patent prosecution group in New York. (2022)
- Top-ranked for trademark prosecution and litigation in the U.S. and California by World Trademark Review 1000. (2023)
- Honored as Capital Markets Group of the Year by Law360. (2022)
- Ranked in the top tiers nationally for copyright, patent prosecution, trademark contentious, trademark prosecution, IP transactions and IP-related life sciences work in Managing Intellectual Property's IP Stars (2022)
- Named Technology Law Firm of the Year by Global M&A Network at its Americas M&A Atlas Awards. (2023)
- Recognized for excellence in corporate, international trade, IP patent, corporate and finance tax, privacy and data security and international and cross-border technology sector work in Chambers Global. (2023)
- Ranked among the leading legal advisors in the U.S. in FinTech legal, blockchain and cryptocurrencies and corporate, securities and financing in the Chambers FinTech (2023)
- Recognized as the Best Performing Law Firm Representing Defendants and 4th Best Performing Law Firm Overall (Representing Defendants and Plaintiffs) in Patexia’s Patent Litigation Report. (2023)