Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati is the premier provider of legal services to technology, life sciences, and growth enterprises worldwide, as well as the venture firms, private equity firms, and investment banks that finance them. We represent companies ranging from entrepreneurial start-ups to multibillion-dollar global corporations at every stage of development. Our attorneys collaborate across a comprehensive range of practice areas and industry groups to help the management, boards of directors, shareholders, and in-house counsel of our clients address their most pressing challenges and pursue their most promising opportunities.
The firm is nationally recognized for providing high-quality services to address the legal solutions required by its enterprise and financial institution clients. Our services include corporate law and governance, public and private offerings of equity and debt securities, mergers and acquisitions, securities class action litigation, intellectual property litigation, antitrust counseling and litigation, joint ventures and strategic alliances, technology licensing and other intellectual property transactions, patent counseling, tax, and employee benefits and employment law, among other areas.
With long-standing roots in Silicon Valley and 18 offices located in technology, business, and regulatory hubs worldwide, Wilson Sonsini has a national presence with a global reach. Over the past six decades, we have developed a wide-ranging international practice, with particular strength in the Americas, Asia, and Europe.
Our roster of attorneys includes many multilingual speakers who have worked at law firms throughout the world, giving them experience and familiarity with international laws and regulations, courts, trade commissions, and other government agencies. In addition, our extensive network of alliances with leading law firms in major global markets enables us to provide our clients with the highest quality and consistency of legal representation and service.
Our Track Record
• Advise more than 300 public enterprises and 3,000 private companies
• Represent more companies that receive venture financing than any other U.S. law firm and consistently rank No. 1 by Refinitiv for the number of issuer-side venture capital deals handled each year
• Represent more technology companies in their U.S. IPOs than any other law firm, according to Capital IQ and IPO Vital Signs
• Represent more technology companies in mergers and acquisitions than any other U.S. law firm, according to Capital IQ
• Ranked among the nation's leading securities litigation firms
• Recognized among the top law firms for IP litigation and ranked among the U.S. law firms, based on the number of patent cases defended
• Consistently ranked among the leading law firms for diversity and inclusion, based on the firm’s high percentages of diverse attorneys and partners
• Annually providing more than 80,000 U.S. attorney hours of pro bono work and recognized for pro bono representation of individuals and organizations
Why Wilson Sonsini
We build careers.
Wilson Sonsini fosters an entrepreneurial and collaborative environment across its attorney ranks. We understand the importance of mentorship and strive to promote career growth and help our attorneys build leadership and relationship skills with clients and colleagues.
We strive to maintain an environment of diversity and inclusion.
Wilson Sonsini approaches diversity as a naturally integrated facet of our business culture and incorporates diversity considerations into all talent management practices, including recruiting, hiring, reviews, partner promotions, and retention. Our approach has helped foster a culture in which diversity thrives—a quality that is substantiated by the firm's top rankings and recognition in key diversity benchmarks. For example:
• In January 2022, for the third consecutive year, the firm achieved a perfect score of 100 on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index (CEI), the nation’s foremost benchmarking survey and report measuring corporate policies and practices related to LGBTQ+ workplace equality.
• Wilson Sonsini ranked No. 2 among firms with more than 600 attorneys in Law360’s 2022 Diversity Snapshot. In addition, the firm ranked No. 3 for the highest representation of minorities in its equity partnership among large firms.
• In 2022, for the fourth consecutive year, the firm achieved Mansfield Plus Certification, signifying that Wilson Sonsini has affirmatively considered at least 30 percent women, lawyers from underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, lawyers with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ lawyers for top leadership roles, senior-level lateral hiring, promotions into the equity partnership, and participation in client pitch meetings.
In addition, in October 2021, Wilson Sonsini held its second Diversity Summit, an interactive virtual event that brought together more than 150 attorneys from across the firm for two half-days of interactive panel discussions, presentations, and networking opportunities.
Since 2008, the Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati Foundation has annually sponsored scholarships through California ChangeLawyers’ Diversity Scholarship Program, which assists incoming first-year, California law school students who collectively are first generation, BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and from historically underrepresented groups.
The firm is also a proud partner to PracticePro, an EdTech social enterprise, where we sponsor multiple programs, including the Pre-Law Diversity Scholarship to provide financial assistance and strategic guidance to underrepresented students navigating law school admissions; Law School Mastery for Incoming 1Ls to support an immersive law school prep and coaching program for diverse 1Ls; and the 1L Diversity Scholar Program to help current law students from diverse backgrounds secure their dream employment while providing training and coaching from leading attorneys.
We invite you to learn more here.
We are committed to fostering a healthy work-life balance.
• We provide highly competitive and comprehensive benefits, with plans that help associates sustain a healthy lifestyle, achieve financial security, and address work and family needs.
• We have many Affinity Groups – Asian American, Black, Latin, Parents and Caregivers, Pride, Wellness @ Wilson, Women of Wilson (WoW), and Veterans and Military Families – which are open to all employees and allies, and offer opportunities to connect across offices, build relationships, access mentors, and become more involved and visible at the firm.
Learn more about our benefits and resources here.
We give back.
Wilson Sonsini believes in enhancing the communities in which we live and work by providing financial support and volunteer services to worthy agencies and individuals in need.
• In August 2022, the firm was honored with the American Bar Association’s Pro Bono Publico Award, recognizing the firm for its long-active civil rights and immigration pro bono work, as well as its increase in scope.
• Wilson Sonsini participates in the Pro Bono Institute's law firm challenge, which encourages firms to devote three percent of their total billable hours to pro bono activities.
• In 2022, Wilson Sonsini attorneys and staff provided over 80,000 pro bono hours.
• The firm's attorneys have provided pro bono assistance to approximately 400 nonprofit agencies in fields such as healthcare, education, the arts, and the environment, as well as to numerous individuals.
In addition to the firm’s pro bono program, our employees contribute locally through the Wilson Sonsini’s community outreach program. The firm organizes numerous events throughout the year, helping to identify and support a variety of meaningful volunteer opportunities. Examples include participating in food drives, walk-a-thons for medical research, habitat-restoration projects, and home and community facility renovation projects for low-income families and nonprofit organizations.
• In 2022, Wilson Sonsini attorneys and staff participated in over 110 community service activities, which included both in-person and virtual activities.
• Through our community service program, firm employees donated nearly $400,000 to support national and international disaster relief efforts, racial justice initiatives, local food banks fighting food insecurity, health-related causes, and holiday programs.
• The Wilson Sonsini Foundation contributed over $1.7 million to over 95 law-related organizations and more than 140 community organizations in 2022.
Wilson Sonsini also grants attorneys unlimited billable-hour credit for time spent on pro bono projects in an effort to encourage attorneys to pursue excellence in the practice of law while at the same time serving the community.
Follow Wilson Sonsini Gives on LinkedIn and Instagram.
We believe professional development is a career-long process.
Because of the nature and volume of the firm's clients, our junior associates have a variety of opportunities to lead projects and interact with clients on a regular basis.
The Professional Development department strives to help our attorneys provide superlative client service at every level of seniority and in every role by designing and providing relevant, timely, and effective development opportunities. These opportunities go beyond standard continuing education requirements and provide a vast amount of training, observational opportunities, and guidance for everyone from first-year associates to senior attorneys, while our Knowledge Management program puts the firm's essential expertise and experience at each attorney's fingertips. Attorneys are also encouraged to take advantage of both our shadowing and coaching programs to develop skills and capabilities to build a fulfilling career at the firm.
We invite you to learn more and join us.
Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram.