WHY JONES DAY?
Our commitment to each other and serving our clients set us apart. Our principles and values and our lawyers’ energy, authenticity, conviction, and integrity differentiate us from other law firms. We are One Firm Worldwide, meaning we are seamlessly integrated, across the globe, to achieve a common set of goals: superior client service and client satisfaction; and developing formidable talent across practices and jurisdictions. We promote and nurture a culture of respect and accept nothing less. First-year lawyers, as part of our New Lawyers Group, are given up to one year to experience different practice areas and explore their options before joining a practice group.
RECORD OF EXCELLENCE ACROSS THE FIRM AND AROUND THE WORLD
Our dedication to delivering the best of the Firm in every client engagement is continually recognized, earning Jones Day industry awards and honors year-after-year.
BTI Consulting Group (an organization that monitors client satisfaction with legal services)
- Client Service A-Team Report 2022 – ranked #1 in client service for the sixth consecutive year and the 14th time since BTI has been publishing its results. Our consistent high rankings have earned the Firm a place among the elite firms elected to The BTI Client Service Hall of Fame.
- Litigation Outlook 2023 – recognized as among BTI’s “Fearsome Foursome” – the law firms that clients would least like to see as opposing counsel and “Litigation Powerhouse” by in-house counsel in all nine of its litigation categories, including IP, Class Actions, Cybersecurity, Securities & Finance, Complex Employment, Employment, Product Liability, Complex Commercial and Commercial.
- M&A Outlook Report 2022 - identified as an M&A Powerhouse law firm, one of "the leading law firms best suited to meet the transactional needs of clients." Ranked in all eight deal categories identified by BTI in its report, Jones Day was one of only three firms to earn the "Powerhouse" ranking (BTI's highest ranking), in six of the eight categories, Transformative Deals, Difficult Deals, Deals Attracting Regulatory Scrutiny, Cross Border Deals, Public Deals, Straightforward Deals.
- "Most Recommended" law firm status for 20th consecutive year, the only law firm to achieve this sustained consistency, based on unprompted responses from in-depth interviews with more than 340 top legal decision-makers conducted by BTI Consulting Group for its annual survey, "The Firms Top Legal Decision Makers Recommend Above All Others."
- Associate Satisfaction A-Listers – awarded “Best of the Best” status in 12 categories including “Law Firms Where Associates Have the Best Opportunity to Grow Within Their Firm,” “Law Firms Where Women Associates Have the Best Opportunity to Grow Within Their Firm” and “Law Firms Best at Helping Women Associates Develop a Career Path”
Chambers Global 2023
- One hundred seven practice rankings including eight ranked Band 1, eight global-wide rankings, and 18 rankings in Chambers' International & Cross-Border Capabilities tables in Australia, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Singapore, Spain, Taiwan, UK, and USA.
The Best Lawyers in America© 2023
- 398 lawyers recognized in 69 practice areas from across all of Jones Day's 18 U.S. offices.
U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Survey 2023
Law360 Ceiling Smasher
In an industry where consolidations, defections, and other signals of instability are frequent, Jones Day has just marked its 130th year of operation. Our stability derives from Jones Day's long-term outlook for and commitment to focused and thoughtful growth of the Firm and development of our lawyers. Our refusal to lay off our associates (and partners), rescind offers to summer associates, or defer the start dates of our incoming associates during weak economies increasingly resonates at a very fundamental level with many law students. This decision to stay the course through difficult times speaks to our stability and strong management; virtues that students value in a potential employer.
To hear testimonials from our lawyers, and to learn more about the Firm's history, values, and vision, please visit www.jonesday.com/careers and follow the Jones Day channel on YouTube at www.youtube.com/JonesDayLawFirm.
The consistently high rate of acceptance of our offers to summer associates to rejoin the Firm after law school graduation is one of the best measures of the quality and success of our program. In addition to research and writing projects, summer associates attend meetings, depositions, hearings, and closings. Performance feedback and training are an integral part of our Summer Program. Summer associates receive challenging assignments across a range of practices, including pro bono work.
Entry-level associates are assigned to Jones Day's distinctive New Lawyers Group (NLG), rather than a specific practice group. The NLG allows entry-level associates time to explore a variety of substantive areas before joining a practice, participate in specialized training and mentoring programs tailored to new lawyers, and benefit from both frequent informal feedback and formal evaluations. The program provides an excellent transition from law school to law firm practice. The experience is especially valuable for new lawyers who value the opportunity to make a more informed choice of practice area, by exploring different assignments in a variety of practice areas during their first year in the profession.
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
Summer associates from the U.S. offices have the opportunity to meet and hear from Firm leaders at the National Summer Event held in the Washington office.
Summer associates attend associate training programs and customized training sessions designed just for summer associates. Pro bono assignments provide hands-on experience and skills development for summer associates and new lawyers. In addition to our training programs, we have an Associate Development Program designed to promote thoughtful career planning and structured career development.
The launching point of our new lawyer training is the New Lawyer Academy, an annual event that brings together all new lawyers from our offices around the world for a comprehensive four-day training and networking retreat. The Academy introduces new lawyers to Jones Day and teaches them about what it means to be One Firm Worldwide. New lawyers hear from leaders of the Firm about our principles and values at the foundation of the success of the Firm, the unmatched client service we provide, Jones Day’s various practices, and various legal training programs.
We provide a curriculum of training programs both in the offices and in Firmwide multiday skills training programs. Each year, our dedicated CLE and training staff plan training programs for associates. Some training is practice-based and some is more general.
Associates are heavily involved in business development. They assist with writing client alerts, practice blogs, and planning business development activities. They also are included in planning associate-only business development events.
FOLLOW JONES DAY
We offer a variety of ways to learn more about Jones Day. Follow us on Facebook @JonesDayLawFirm and on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/company/jones-day. Hear our stories: https://www.jonesday.com/careers#stories and watch our videos https://www.youtube.com/JonesDayLawFirm.